You'll need to have a few items ready beforehand, so be prepared. Here's what's typically required:
- Completed Application Every person 18 years or older, including any guarantors or co-signers, must complete a separate application. I can email you a standard Application for Occupancy to complete in advance. This will help expedite the process once you find a rental that you like. Not every homeowner or property manager accepts this form. If they don't, at least you'll have the information you need readily available.
- Proof of income A month's worth of paystubs is usually required. If you get paid monthly, the owner may want to see 2 or 3 months of paystubs. If you are self-employed, you'll need to provide 2-3 copies (or possibly more) of your bank statements or possibly a current tax return. To qualify, you generally need a total household income of 2.5 or 3 times the rent.
- Application fees are usually around $35-$50 for every person 18 years and over. This fee will cover your credit and background checks. Most of the time the listing agent will email you a link so you can complete this process online, including the payment.
- Earnest deposit may be required. The homeowner or property manager will hold this deposit until you sign your lease agreement. Once you sign your lease agreement, the earnest money will be applied towards your initial move-in costs such as your security deposit. If you change your mind and do not sign the lease, then you will lose some or all of your earnest deposit.
- Pets are only accepted upon lessor's approval, with the exception of service animals. Please indicate the breed, weight and if it is spayed or neutered. If it is a cat, indicate whether it has been declawed. Pets are subject to additional deposits and/or fees.